Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Caramel Sauce made with Skim Milk does not a caramel sauce make.

I have a general rule of thumb in my house that if I want a sweet dessert, I have to make it. The thought process behind that of course is that I must really want a treat if I am willing to make it (always from scratch), bake (wait 12min - 1hr depending on the item) and then clean-up. It normally works in my favor, but there are times when I am craving certain sweet and I just don't have the ingredients on hand.
Case in point: turtle brownies. A rich combination of chocolate and caramel, rich and sweet. I knew I had no evaporated milk on hand, which meant I hand to find a recipe that created the caramel from scratch. I did find one, but it called for heavy cream. Other than butter, the only dairy product in my refrigerator is skim milk or Greek yogurt, neither of which is a suitable substitute. But I was desperate, I figured I could add a little extra butter to make up for the missing fat in the recipe.

I found a Microwave caramel sauce , which was even better since it would be done quickly and in one container. If you like, go try and make it now. Watch out for the step where you add the heavy cream. When you use skim milk as a replacement, the extra water content in the milk contributes to an overwhelming amount of steam release and "froth-over". It also does not thicken the mix very well either.

My end result was a soupy, sticky mess that didn't taste like caramel. I only cooked it in the microwave for 4 min (time frame 4 -8 min), but it still tasted burnt. I'd try the recipe again, but with the right ingredients next time. On the bright side, the subsequent excitement with the bubble over and resulting clean-up did distract me from my cravings for turtle brownies.

No comments: